Monday, June 9, 2008

Friday In Kampala - Arrival & Praises!

We arrived in Kampala on time and all, though tired, in one piece and excited to be here. The good news - all the luggage arrive with us-something that the last 4 teams I spoke to said they had problems with. But also something we made a direct object of prayer. I was also concerned that we would have someone waiting for us when we arrived. The arrangements had been made with a missionary who had since returned home. I thought everything was OK, I had heard that it was OK, but still, having been in a foreign airport before it was a concern. I also was concerned about customs. Thanks to your gracefilled gifts, we were bringing in a lot of new things and I had pondered the possibility that they would think it was for resale an charge us duty. No problem on either front. When we arrived our three drivers were waiting for us with a sign "Jim Needham." (I felt like a celeb!) And as for customs, we simply had our Visa's stamped and walked out the airport door. No one even looked in the bags.

The ride to Mukundo(Uganda Christian University) was long and when we arrived we were taken to the guesthouse and the home of one of the missionaries to stay. The guest house was simple but clean an a wonderful relief because finally a shower. The home was quite nice. It sits on a hill with a wonderful view of the trees and green stretching out below it. There are quite a few birds and (I heard) some monkeys. We ended our day together, giving thanks for our uneventful arrival. It made me aware of how we seldom thank God for all the things that go right in our lives, simply because we take them for granted.

(sent via email from Fr. Jim)

2 comments:

Trish said...

aoghWhat great, descriptive writing! Thank you, Fr. Jim. Reading your "travel log" transported me and when you spoke of the poverty, my heart ached. I look forward to the continued, vicarious adventure your writings allow. My heart and prayers are with each of you.
<3 Trish

St. Luke's Anglican Fellowship said...

What a joy to hear that you all arrived with no problems. Thanks for confirming what we knew about the power of prayer. It encourages us at home to continue and to look forward to more great news of God's work with the team.

Please encourage each of the team to share their experiences. We feel like we are there with you!

Melissa