Monday, June 16, 2008

SUNDAY WORSHIP and Travel

Sunday Morning we began the day early with a trip to the cathedral in Kampala. Worship was a nice mixture of praise and hymns . . . some that took me back to my Baptist Days (e.g. "I surrender All") I had been asked to speak and along the way I remembered that it was the 36th year anniversary since I gave my life to Christ as a teenager. On June 6th, I gave him 1 month to show that He was real . . . life has never been the same. I spent much of the worship service reflecting on the faithfulness of God.
After services we began the trip to Kassee. It was a five hour ride. Along the way we stopped to use the restroom at a roadside shell station. It is like many others in the country -- a small room with a hole in the ground and two boards to put your feet. Another cultural experience! When we stopped the children would come to see the "muzuga" (white people). They were all smiles . . . especially when we began to give out some candy we had brought! Since I wear my clerical collar many wanted a prayer for blessing as well. When I asked what they would like me to pray about I even got to do some "roadside counseling" along the way with one teenager.
The drive was quite pretty with fields punctuated with banana trees, cotton, tea plantations, an occasional "jackfruit" tree, papaya and pineapple.
Arriving at the Agape Guest House in Kassee we were greeted by a group of 9 clergy. Supper was on the table - chicken, goat, rice, beans and the best pineapple I have ever tasted. Coke products to drink -- including a ginger soda made by Coke that is quite zippy called "Stony tangawizi" (just try to pronounce that one!)
Kermit had made "disciple crosses" for the clergy in the colors of Uganda - red, gold and black. They loved them! I ended the evening with a nice warm shower.... ahhhhhh.

No comments: